Bowling ball cleaners don't tend to be something that we pay a lot of attention to. In fact, you often find that instead of giving their bowling balls a deeper clean, players often give them a quick wipe over before continuing with the game.
However, bowling ball cleaners can be influential in your playing performance. Working to remove dirt, oil, and dust they can improve hook potential and the increase in traction allows your bowling ball to stick to oily lanes more effectively.
We have done the hard work for you and browsed the market for our top five picks of the best bowling ball cleaners, along with a handy buyer's guide with all of our top tips for choosing the best product.
Are you in a hurry? If you don't have the time to continue reading, we have selected our top picks for you below.
Best Bowling Ball Cleaner
OUR TOP PICK
For our top pick, we have selected the Pyramid Monster Tac Bowling Ball Cleaner. A great way to keep your bowling balls clean in between games maintaining a consistent motion.
The Pyramid Monster bowling ball cleaner can be used before or after a game, giving your bowling balls and equipment a deep clean creating the angular sheen that you desire. Thanks to the spray bottle design, this cleaner can be easily applied to the surface of your bowling ball and it is easy to remove too.
If you often find yourself struggling to find enough room in your bowling bag, this needn't be a worry with this bowling ball cleaner as it is a convenient sized bottle that can easily fit into most sized bags.
This cleaner is suitable for use on all bowling balls and it is also USBC approved which is important when it comes to cleaners. This essentially means that this cleaner can be used in USBC certified competitions and league bowling so long as it remains in its original packaging.
Usefully, this cleaner works well at destroying oil and dirt, helping to improve the tac of your ball. When faced with heavily oiled lanes, you may find it beneficial to apply this cleaner regularly.
- This is an ideal bowling ball cleaner for casual players.
- It is USBC approved.
- Available in a 4 OZ option and an 8 OZ option, you can select the size that suits your needs.
- Retailing at an affordable price, this cleaner isn't going to break the bank.
- Works with ease to clean belt marks, oil and dirt by simply applying the cleaner to the cloth and wiping the surface of your bowling ball.
- The pump that dispenses the cleaner is prone to breaking after a few uses.
Next up we have selected the Lane Ghost Bowling Ball Cleaner Spray Kit. Removing the build-up of oil, dirt, dust, and belt marks, this cleaner works to maintain a cleaner ball surface while giving it a natural tac.
This cleaner is also USBC certified, making it a great choice for competition and league use as it is praised for being a top tier cleaner.
Impressively, this cleaner has been made by a group of bowlers themselves, to create a top tier cleaner that has been rigorously tested for quality.
Conveniently, this cleaner is suitable for use on all types of bowling balls effectively cleaning plastic, urethane, and reactive resin. You can be confident that your ball is going to be cleaned in excellent condition using the Lane Ghost cleaner.
Easy to use, you simply need to spray a small amount of cleaner onto the surface of the bowling ball and then wait a few seconds before wiping it off. Impressively, the cloth also comes with this cleaner, which saves you the cost of an additional purchase.
- This is an excellent quality cleaner retailing at a super affordable price.
- Made by bowlers themselves, you can be assured that this cleaner suits the criteria that avid bowlers look for.
- Lane Ghost is made in the USA so you can be confident in the source of your purchase.
- When you purchase the ball cleaner you also receive the cloth for effective cleaning.
- This cleaner is USBC approved.
- Whilst effectively removing the majority of marks, removing tougher ones may take a little more effort.
For our next choice, we have selected the Tac Up Bowling Ball Cleaner which works to restore the natural tac of the ball's surface.
Working to remove oily rings, dirt, and dust, this cleaner easily and effectively provides you with a clean ball that has an improved tac surface that provides you with a greater hook potential.
Available in an 8 ounce bottle, a little amount only needs to be used for each use, a great way of preserving the contents of the bottle and saving you money in the long run. Different players may have different preferences in regards to how often they apply the cleaner, however, it is recommended that it is applied heavily when faced with oily lanes as the tackiness provides greater grip.
With a quick-dry formula, if you choose to use this cleaner in between games, you can be assured that it is going to be dried and ready for your next throw. This is a great cleaner for casual players who are looking to improve their hook potential.
- As the name suggests, this cleaner works effectively to restore the natural tac of the ball.
- An excellent choice for casual players who want to improve their hook potential.
- Thanks to the quick-drying formula, even when used in between turns, you can be assured that it is going to be dry in time for your next throw.
- As a USBC approved any time cleaner, you can clean your bowling ball in the middle of a competition or league game without receiving a penalty.
- It is easy to use and simply needs to be applied to the surface of your ball.
- It has a slightly strong odor which some may find off putting.
We have selected the That Purple Stuff Bowling Ball Cleaner as our next choice for you. This cleaner can be used before or after playing to remove tough dirt and oil marks.
Application is easy, simply apply the solution to the power pad and then wipe across the surface of the bowling ball. This professional grade cleaner has also been approved for USBC use, which is beneficial, evidently displaying its quality values.
As an 8 OZ flip top style bottle, the solution can be easily applied to the cloth without the risk of spillages or using too much of the product at once.
This cleaner has been created with performance in mind, giving you an easy solution to cleaning your bowling balls without having to find someone else to do it for you.
- As a professional grade cleaner, you can be assured that it is going to clean your bowling balls to a great standard.
- You only require a small amount of this solution to achieve excellent results which saves money in the long run.
- This cleaner doesn't have an unpleasant scent which can sometimes be off putting.
- That Purple is also a USBC approved cleaner.
- Coming in an 8 Oz bottle, this cleaner is likely to last for a considerable length of time before needing to be replaced.
- In comparison to our previous picks, this cleaner is a little more pricey which may not be ideal for those on a budget.
For our final choice, we have selected the MOTIV Power Gel Scuff cleaner, a bowling ball cleaner and scouring compound in one formulation. Courtesy of this scuff formulation this cleaner effectively works to remove dirt, lane oil and grime, whilst also working to remove any minor surface scratches too.
The surface friction and hooking power are both increased and improved on bowling balls with a shiny finished surface. Impressively, this formula acts as an oil absorber too. Simply apply it to the surface of the ball before allowing it to dry as a powder, one it has done so the lane oil will be lifted and captured from the surface of the ball.
Once you have finished using this cleaner, you simply need to brush or vacuum the remnants of the compound and your bowling ball will be as good as new.
As a biodegradable formula, this product utilizes natural and environmentally friendly solvents so you can be assured that the product you invest in isn't going to have any negative consequences on the environment.
Coming in a 16 oz squeeze bottle, this product is likely to last a considerable amount of time before requiring replacement. A squeeze bottle is also great for getting your desired amount without pouring too much product resulting in waste.
- In one formulation this is a bowling ball cleaner and scourer compound so you can be assured that your bowling balls are going to be cleaned to the best standard.
- As an oil-absorbing formula, it works to absorb and lift the lane oil from the pores of the cover stock.
- Available in a 16 Oz bottle this product is likely to last for a considerable length of time before needing to be replaced.
- The formulation is biodegradable and uses natural solvents creating an environmentally friendly product.
- Impressively, this cleaner works to boost the surface friction of your bowling ball.
- You may require more solution to remove tough scuffs from your bowling balls.
Best Bowling Ball Cleaner Buying Guide
Investing in a bowling ball of the best quality can often be a significant purchase, hence why there is the need for bowling ball cleaners to help maintain this excellent condition. However, after investing in an expensive bowling ball some individuals don't want to have to spend a lot for a bowling ball cleaner which is understandable.
Below we have compiled a guide with our top tips for choosing the best cleaner accounting for different budgets, ensuring that each product is of excellent quality.
USBC refers to the United States Bowling Congress and they regulate all of the playing items that are used in your game. If you are someone who is at an amateur level often playing in USBC certified competition or league games then it is important to ensure that the cleaner you choose states that it is USBC approved.
These guidelines state that no liquid cleaners are to be used to wipe off or clean your bowling balls in such competitions. There are some criteria to follow to ensure that your bowling balls meet their criteria and the cleaner doesn't affect the finish of the ball.
You will also find some cleaners that are USBC anytime Approved and this essentially means as the name suggests. The cleaner can be used at any point in the game to clean your bowling ball, even if this means stopping midway through a game to do so.
The Size of the cleaner
Smaller bottles are much more convenient for carrying in your bag and this is particularly useful for those who often play in tournaments and find themselves traveling to different locations.
However, in the long run, a large bottle is likely to last you much longer giving you more value for your money. This is not to say that all small bottles will run out fast, in fact, with many small bottles you will only need to use a small amount at one time which helps to prolong the life of your product.
The regularity in which you intend to use your cleaner is also important. Some players will use a cleaner after every throw whilst others will use them after every couple of throws. If you are looking to get lots of use from your cleaner then it is recommended to use it after every go. This may also be helpful if you are faced with very oily lanes.
The Use of the cleaner
You will find some cleaners that serve the sole purpose of cleaning your bowling ball by removing any dust or dirt whilst others will have the capability of removing scratches too.
If you require the use of both products it is recommended to purchase a cleaner that has all of these values as this saves you having to invest in two separate products. This is also important for those who play in tournaments as it ensures that your bowling ball is always up to the best standard of quality, allowing you to play to your best potential.
A good cleaner isn't necessarily going to come with a hefty price tag you will find many that retail at affordable prices. Even top tier USBC cleaners don't necessarily tend to come with the hefty price tags attached. You may even find that some of the best cleaners come within the most affordable price ranges. It is important to ensure that you select a cleaner that is suitable for your bowling ball too.
The price that you choose to spend on your bowling ball cleaner is largely down to personal preference and how much you are willing to spend. After investing a considerable amount into your bowling ball itself, some people may choose to spend a little less on the bowling ball cleaner.
Frequently Asked Questions
Are bowling ball cleaners good?
There are many great bowling ball cleaners available on the market. Many are super affordable and reliable which ensures that the cleaner is going to perform very well.
A bowling ball cleaner works very effectively at removing oil, dirt and belt marks, helping to prolong the life of the bowling ball by maintaining its condition. It also works to build the tackiness of the bowling ball ultimately to increase the hook power.
Some cleaners are great for casual players who are looking to improve their performance due to the qualities of the cleaner helping to control how it performs along the bowling lanes.
How often should I clean my bowling ball?
You should generally try and clean your bowling ball after every session, however, some players may choose to clean their bowling balls in the middle of games.
Cleaning a bowling ball can be done simply by applying the solution to the ball or a cloth and then wiping it into your bowling ball. The majority will be quick-drying, working to absorb the oil instantly when the ball hits an oily lane. For those that aren't quick-drying, it will act this way until you wipe it off.
Will scuff marks come off my bowling ball?
Most cleaners work to remove dirt and oil and they do this very well, however, the task of removing scuffs can be a little more challenging. They typically tend to use much more elbow grease and effort.
If you are faced with a bowling ball that has scuffs on it, ensure that you opt for a cleaner that states its purpose is to remove scuffs alongside, dirt oil and dust.