For the avid dart player, or even a total beginner (like me!) nothing is more important than having the perfect dartboard setup. Unfortunately, it can be a challenge to figure out how to hang a dartboard properly as most people just wanted to get started ASAP and pound a nail into the wall because they are excited and want to start throwing darts!
BUT…it’s not as simple as putting it on the wall; you need to make sure that all of the measurements are correct and that you’re using the right materials. Otherwise you will be playing the game wrong from your first dart throw and you will be handicapping your efforts.
In this guide, we will walk you through how to hang a dartboard in your home so that you can get playing the proper way from the start!
From setting up your board to measuring distances, we’ll give you all of the tips and tricks necessary for an enjoyable game of darts every time.
What You’ll Need
Before you can start playing darts, you need to set up your dartboard at the correct height. Here’s what you’ll need to get things set up properly.
-A set of darts
-A tape measure
-Some chalk or a pencil
-Something to hang your dartboard on (a wall, a door, etc.). NOTE: only use a door if there is no other option. this will reduce risk of danger if someone opens the door and you hit them in the face or eye with a dart. Very dangerous, obviously!
Once you have all of your supplies, it’s time to get started!
If you need to find a cabinet for your dart board, be sure to see our complete guide to the best dart board cabinets.
1. Hang the dartboard so that the center of the bullseye is 5 feet 8 inches above the floor.
2. Use a level to make sure the dartboard is hung evenly.
3. Place a piece of masking tape on the wall where you want to hang the dartboard. This will help you mark where to put the screws.
4. Drill pilot holes into the wall at your marks using a 1/8 inch drill bit. Make sure you check the wall to ensure there are no wires behind where you are drilling so you don’t cause harm to your house or yourself.
5. Screw in the wall mounts for your dartboard using a screwdriver or power drill. Be sure they are screwed in tightly so that your dartboard will be secure.
6. Hang your dartboard on the mounts and now it’s time to start your lifelong enjoyment playing darts!
If you need to find the best bristle dart boards, be sure to see our comprehensive guide!
Usually with a new dartboard, people tend to want to get started throwing darts so they just put a nail in the wall and hang it quickly. The problem is that it is almost never proper height and then you learn and train yourself for something that is incorrect. And that will make you worse and delay you from having fun as you won’t be good.
Remember to hang the board at eye-level with the 5 feet 8 inches to the center of the bullseye.
Get your dartboard hung up correctly and safely and then you can start enjoying hours of fun with darts!
Also be sure to learn important darts terminology – understanding the proper language will help you enjoy the game a lot more.
I’m Lia and I love playing games. I started this site to share things with friends and they encouraged me to post more and now I’m trying to share things with the world – indoor and outdoor sports, and board and bar games. I write about things like Bocce, Croquet, Billiards, Darts and other fun ways to enjoy time with your friends and family!